What’s Your Digital Humanities project idea?

Post it in the comments box below . . .

Posted in Prof Ferguson.

15 Responses

Stay in touch with the conversation, subscribe to the RSS feed for comments on this post.

1. mikadroz says

Mine would be difficult to pull off, but I had an idea about having a test group look at an online article of a white person accused of a crime and compare their reactions to the same article only with a picture of a minority. My story has a lot to do with racism (though it would only be perceived as racism today– at the time it would have been considered perfectly acceptable, which is why I was so interested in it), and while I initially focused on the war aspect I’ve eventually come around to see some of its other aspects as well.

• mikadroz says

I did some more thinking about this project and was thinking about how it could be put in a more ‘digital’ format, like having people look at Facebook posts or forum posts where someone’s race is clear and seeing how it’s used or if it’s used at all. It interests me, but I think the major problem is you can’t really come to a valid conclusion from it because so many people are different and there’s no real way to measure anything.

• mikadroz says

…I just can’t shut up on this, can I? Now I have an idea about using Second Life to recreate my short story, only use the original races for the first time and the same race for the second. I’d record this and put it on a website like Youtube and see what people have to say for each video and if race is an issue on either one.

(Any more ideas I’m going to keep to myself because I’m flooding the comments :P)

• Kevin L. Ferguson says

Now that’s a pretty cool idea–what if it were possible that different spectators were to see different appearances, keeping all other variables the same?

2. jtrezza says

Poe’s The Gold-Bug focuses heavily on the themes of code-breaking and treasure hunting. In fact, much of the story’s most important prose is Legrand explaining how he was able to put together his elaborately mysterious puzzle. There are a lot of numbers and sequences dealt with, and it would be useful for the reader to be able to see them instead of only being able to read of them. And while some of the complicated symbols are drawn out and shown, it is very difficult to follow the text that describes what they mean.
    In a digital humanities project related to The Gold–Bug, I’d attempt to recreate these codes and eventually the complete treasure map in digital form. As a reader, you’d be able to see more clearly Legrand’s complicated journey illustrated right in front of you.

• Kevin L. Ferguson says

I wonder if you might even make it into a simple video game for readers? So, they’re not just getting the same information in a different form, but are required to interact with the text in a novel way…

3. Henna says

Naturally, Sherlock Holmes’ shorts detail a mass of tangible clues observed — visually, tactilely, through poke, prod, sound and scent — by the detective great. For him, clues are five-senses accessible, but as readers, our contemplation is limited to Watson’s documentation of detail.

Digital Humanities: The Adventure of the Speckled Band XTRA offers students virtual recreations of the story’s crime scene, compete with pixelated evidence, including peculiarities such as the bell-rope, bolted bed and room-to-room vent, studied by Holmes during his investigation. Such sounds as “this low whistle” and “clanging, as if a mass of metal had fallen” essential to the detective’s discovery are incorporated too, as well as the “strong smell of burning oil and heated metal” which uses the same 4-D technologies (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2013164/4-D-cinema-Films-leave-feeling-damp-sick-smells-punched.html) available now in Hollywood films.

With these additions, readers can enjoy the mental stimulation and challenge of attempting to access their detective-best, and interpret the clues to develop their own cohesive account of events from the same point of view as did Holmes develop his. Then, after reading Holmes’ discovery, they’ll have the tools with which to defend those conclusions opposing Holmes’, or strut blissfully in the ease of matching the detective work of The One and Only.

• Kevin L. Ferguson says

I wonder if it would be easier or harder? Rather than rely only on the narrator (Watson–who’s not always the brightest bulb), reader/viewers would be able to see more “purely.”

4. morgan92 says

After reading Dalyrimple Goes Wrong by Fitzgerald I learnt that struggles with finances are not always easy and people will go to any expense to survive. This story could definitely be shown visually and visualized in many ways. In my opinion a great way to portray this story would be to create an inline character and the person controlling him would have to find ways for him to survive with the same aspects from the story. For example the character would have to have the same past and same occupation.

5. Jessica Danielle Powell says

My Project

In order to find out more about my short story “The Story of an Hour” by Kate Chopin I would use digital humanities to recreate the home setting during the time period shown in the story. I would want ot know how the clocks looked also to dig deeper into the title. I’d also find literature online that would share the same time period and story as “The Story of an Hour”. I’d like to find out how husbands and wives percieved each other and how they interacted using internet models. The biggest question to be answered using the digital humanities is how husbands and wives percieved freedom in themselves and their relationships.

6. seslami says

My project would be one of similar relation to the “Stanley Milgram” experiment. The main focus would be to see how far someone would go to achieve the winning outcome, no matter the circumstances. So in more detail, I would try to come up with an experiment of some sort where I would ask a participant to sit at a computer and answer questions. If they get the wrong answer, a negative outcome will occur. This relates to my story because the main theme was questioning how far one would go to achieve their desired result.

7. femi says

In order to create a greater understanding if the conflict in my chosen short story, i would like to put the reader in the position of the main character. The foolishness of the main character primarily takes place during an auction, which will be recreated through Second Life. In the digital replica of the auction, participants can detect any possible shadiness or any preventive measures that may have be overlooked by the main character that would have saved him from such a devastating swindle. I would also create a digital replica of the land actually purchased that was covered by water for participants to view any profitable opportunities whatsoever.

8. clo120 says

My project would focus heavily on an artistic note, as I tend to think in this way. Using a site much like Deviantart, I would have people read the work, and then attempt to put what they feel or understand about the story in a visual medium. The point wouldn’t be to show who could be a better artist or more accurately portray the story, but rather have them translate what they feel. The focus on translation into an entirely different medium might help readers to come to new concepts and ideas they had not previously thought of.

9. Jerry says

My project will focus on the usefulness of digital humanities. With tools like wordle and ngram a lot can be done, these different tools help do a lot of different things but are any of these tools helpful in the process of educating students. Are these tools just smoke screens in our education system, with addition of these technological advances are we providing more fluff and limiting real education.

10. valinirohit says

My Digital Humanities project would consist of short documentaries about the Civil War so the student can gain some insights about the significance and background of the events in the story. Some of the documentaries could juxtapose the Union vs. the Confederates recollection of the Civil War because one of the themes of my short story focuses on Southern illusion of the Civil War vs. the reality of the Civil War. I would also have short excerpts of writings from leaders of both sides to help represent this theme. One of the documentaries could reveal how technology impacted the Civil War like the railroad or weapons because the action and setting of the story takes place on a railroad bridge. I would have information on the author of the story to reveal what may have inspired him to write his story. I would also have video adaptations of the short story available as well as short excerpts of analysis of the story. I would love to have an interactive game based on the story where you could play as the main character and see what it would be like to be in his shoes as well as experience the story in a whole new way.

You must be logged in to post a comment.